Re: nfs question

hey tony,

these aren't stupid questions... sometimes people talk so much about
making windows and linux work, they forget about mac. ;-)

>From your questions, I'm assuming your ibook is running OSX either X.1
or X.2. I, too, have an ibook and my 10.2 OS is working well in a file
sharing environment we have at work. Either NFS or smb will do fine. NFS
is a little easier to set up initially (in my opinion) but in the long
run annoying file permissions can be a pain unless you are running NIS.
Even with your dynamic IP allocation setup, NFS should work so long as
you know the ip of your linux box (sharing out the files to your ibook).
mounting NFS volumes to your ibook will be done via the 'mount' command
in a terminal window.

As for smb, maybe a little more complex to setup, but the Mac GUI finds
smb shares quite nicely on our network. Using the "Go" menu in the
finder, you can find your "network computer" and mount the share. You'll
just have to redo it when your server changes ip (if it's running dhcp).

quick and dirty = nfs
long run = smb

I'm not an smb expert, but you need help with your nfs exports on your
linux box, let me know.

-Steve