Re: Psyche FAQ (was: Re: Problem with rebuilding rpm database)

On Saturday 09 November 2002 6:17 pm, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 13:11, Patrick wrote:
> > > I have problem with rebuilding database. I had a problem with
> > > installation of a rpm and i killed a process. Since rpm database became
> > > unusable i tried to rebuld rpm database (rpm -rebulddb). But process
> > > doesn't do anything. It made a directory /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.25695
> > > which is empty, and process doesn't look like it works anything. Any
> > > idea ?
> >
> > In /var/lib/rpm delete __db.00{1,2,3} and try again.
>
> 	I definitely nominate this for the FAQ.

I think something like this belongs in the FAQ, but these kinds of answers
piss me off, because they fail to explain *why* you need to do this.  If this
can be explained, I'd love to add it in with the explanation.

I think there's a lot of this that goes on in the interest of peoples' time
and brevity and stuff, but in the end I think the choice is basically: give
users a fish and they'll eat for a day, *teach* them to fish, and they'll eat
forever.

Answers like this are just 'giving fish'.   This is fine on a list where you
just want an answer FAST and to hell with why, but I think an FAQ should
strive for a little bit more.