Re: Anyone else having problems with acroread?

Michael Fratoni <mfratoni@tuxfan.homeip.net> writes:

> In the for what it's worth category, I made that change globally. I still
> haven't heard a good reason to be using UTF-8 in the first place. So, I
> changed /etc/sysconfig/i18n to read:
> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
> # LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> LANG="en_US"
> SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
> SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
>
> Doesn't appear to have broken anything, and I no longer have weird font
> problems in manpages, acroread works, etc.

I wondered about that too.  But assumed there was some reason why it
was shifted to UTF-8.  And some notice taken in the rpms for emacs in
the site-start.el file supplied by redhat.

I only see the jacked up stuff in man pages if I read them emacs.
changing to LANG=en_US cures that.

Can you explain your meaning concerning fonts in man pages?

An example here:
man tar shows no problem but if I try in emacs

M-x manual-entry <RET> tar <RET>
I get all kinds of guff.  Not sure if it will come thru here but here
is a sample:
NAME
       tar − The GNU version of the tar archiving utility

SYNOPSIS
       tar  [ −− ] A ‐‐‐‐catenate ‐‐‐‐concatenate | c ‐‐‐‐create | d ‐‐‐‐diff ‐‐‐‐compare
       | r ‐‐‐‐append | t ‐‐‐‐list | u ‐‐‐

If I set LANG=en_US;export LANG before calling emacs from a terminal
the guff disappears and becomes readable.