Re: xmms mp3 to ogg

Kevin Waterson wrote:

>I can appreciate RedHats concern with mp3's and the use
>of ogg as a default for xmms. Is there a mp3->ogg
>conversion tool available? if not bundled a decent

One couldn't be bundled for the same reason the xmmp-mp3 plugin wasn't.
You will have to download a MP3 decoder, like mpeg123 to do it. There
are some scripts on freshmeat.net that automate this for lots of files
and preserve the embedded tags too.

That said, they won't sound goo. ogg-vorbis removes a differen set of
information than mp3. Imaging mp3 removing the lowest bit in every byte,
and vorbis removing the high bit in every byte.  If you go from mp3 to
vorbis, you han lost both bits now.

    Original = abcdefgh
         mp3 = bcdefgh
      vorbis = abcdefg
mp3->vorbis  = bcdefg

You best bet is to re-encode from the original source.

    -Thomas