Re: Pan Keeps locking my machine.

Ahh Hah

I discovered a problem with pan.

I discovered that there were more problems than just pan, my networking seemed
slow overall. I diagnosed the problem to be latency caused by packet loss. I
called my ISP and they discovered that my DSL connection was loosing packets.
They quickly contacted the telephone company and had the problem resolved. Pan
started to work fine without locking up my machine. Then yesterday Pan started
to lockup my machine again. I used 'mtr -n news...' to trackdown the problem.
There was no packet loss but there was higher than normal latencey at one of
the hops on the way to news server. Later on the latency disapeared and Pan
started working properly again.

It appears as though pan has some problem that may be causing it to deplete
the machines resouces when it runs into a slow connection.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Are people with dialup able to use pan successfully?
Is there a way to increase the server timeout?

It could be possible that the server is resetting the connection if too many
sockets are spawned, but pan should be able to work around reset connections
should it not.

Guy