Re: smtp auth help

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Marko Asplund wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Nicholas Meyer wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to learn to set up a mail server, and am having difficulty
> > finding any definitive source on how to enable SMTP AUTH as it is
> > included with RedHat 8. If anybody has any suggestions or could point
> > me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. I just want to
> > have the users of my smtp server to have to log in to avoid problems
> > with spam relay.
>
> i was having some problems with SMTP AUTH on Red Hat 8 with Postfix. the
> Postfix binaries have been linked with Cyrys SASL v1 and on RH8 the SASL
> v1 libraries don't seem to support the saslauthd password checking method
> which in my opinion is a must. my solution was to build Cyrus SASL v1.5.28
> with saslauthd support and dynimically link Postfix with this library (had
> to move libsasl\.* away from /usr/lib and add the new SASL library path to
> /etc/ld.so.conf). then i modified /etc/rc.d/init.d/saslauthd to start the
> SASL v1 saslauthd. this seems to be working ok.
>
> best regards,
> --
> 	aspa

As far as I know the change of ownership of sendmail in the version
shipped with RH 8 has broken the Cyrus SASL authentication.  If you set up
authentication in the normal way you will get an error that sendmail
couldn't open /etc/sasldb due to a permission problem...sendmail is no
longer running as root.  If you change the permission of /etc/sasldb then
that won't work because /etc/sasldb isn't root only.

The way around this is to use the DontBlameSendmail directive in
sendmail.mc.  Once you've setup authentication in the normal way add the
following line in sendmail.mc

define(`DontBlameSendmail', `GroupReadableSASLDBFile')dnl

Of course you will need to run the M4 macro and restart sendmail for this
to take affect.

Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer