Re: strange e-mail from root

From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts@ewilts.org>

> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 05:24:14PM -0800, jdow wrote:
> > The Chinese are at it again, either second hand through a hacked host or
> > first hand.
>
> I don't think that's called for in this forum.  After all, we don't
> claim "The Americans are at it again" when the majority of the hacker
> attempts come from US-based systems.

1) At least a third to a half the attacks on my system's interfaces trace
   back to a .cn address. Should I deny this is the case? I did remark it
   was either them or their hacked insecure systems, which are the two
   possibilities.
2) If you notice the map on http://www.incidents.org/ you might note that
   the pie circle over Asia is as big as that over the US, lately. (That
   rather surprised me.) Of course, I freely admit that this merely
indicates
   the machines doing the attacking are in Asia. The attackers may be doing
   it through Asian cutouts. (The percentage of  attacks traceable to Asia
   in the gateway here that are Chinese is higher than others seem to
report.
   I am not sure what that tells me. Nonetheless they are Chinese machines.)
3) I categorically refuse to be nice and politically correct and not profile
   attacks when my own security is at stake.

So a great big
{`,'} to you, sir.