Re: rhn_register error 8.0

On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 21:25:50 -0700, Frank Jacobberger wrote:

> I just did a text install of RH 8 and it went very well but now I'm
> getting the following error
> when attempting to do a lauch of up2date:
>
> Error Message:
>     Please run rhn_register as root on this client
> Error Class Code: 9
> Error Class Info: Invalid Server Certificate.
> Explanation:
>      An error has occurred while processing your request. If this
>      problem persists please submit a bug report to
>      rhn-help@redhat.com. If you choose to submit the bug report,
>      please be sure to include details of what you were trying to do
>      when this error occurred and details on how to reproduce this
>      problem.
>
> Now I have run rhn_register as root and I don't get anything but the
> following:
> -bash: /sbin/rhn_register: No such file or directory
>
> Also doing a :
>
> rpm -qa | grep rhn | sort yields nothing
> same for
> find / -name "rhn_register"
> yields NADA?
>
> How do I get rhn_register back?

Although the problem was explained in another reply, I have a few
additional comments.

I find it surprising that when the error message from RHN asks you
"to run rhn_register as root", that you try the absolute path
/sbin/rhn_register instead of just rhn_register in root's $PATH.

Also, if you want to search for _uninstalled_ packages and
executables, you are advised to install the rpmdb-redhat package
and query like this: rpm --redhatprovides rhn_register

Examining the up2date packages would have helped you, too:

$ ls up2*
up2date-3.0.7-1.i386.rpm  up2date-gnome-3.0.7-1.i386.rpm

$ rpm -qp up2* --provides
up2date = 3.0.7-1
up2date-gnome = 3.0.7-1

$ rpm -qp up2* --obsoletes