Re: Solved: More problems building latest 8.0 kernel

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I got a new kernel built last night. I just want to pass on what I
> learned.
>
> I never had a need to do an mrproper before 8.0. Now that 8.0 is out, I
> found that mrproper is required. The problem shifted again when the

mrproper has been part of the kernel for a long time.
You've just been lucky to never have to use it yet.

Check <linux source>/README. It's the last step of installing the
source tarball.

> upgrade came out as 2.4.18-17.8.0. It turns out that after the mrproper is
> done and you have created your .config file, you must run make oldconfig.

mrproper deletes the current .config file, so you must create a
a new one after mrproper.

> The spec file actually does an oldconfig_nonint. After that, the dep,
> bzImage, modules works fine. Note that the clean is not needed after the
> mrproper since mrproper does a clean.

the _nonint version creates a list of config options that
don't have default settings. That list is the file called
nodefaults, and is printed at the end of the configure step.

It's helpfull for creating complete configfiles for use
in noninteractive settings, like rpm builds.

The steps have been: mrproper, config, dep, ...
for a very long time, at least back to RHL-5.0,
the oldest I have handy to check.

There's been a few time where the kernel-source rpm
has had some stale config info in it that caused problems
for people who skip the mrproper step, SMP being a big
cause.

	-Thomas