Re: Red Hat 8.0 NetGear FA311 identification and IRQ assignment.

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:35:23AM -0500, Robert R Baer wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  I agree that it's probably related to the BIOS.
> Although it's a Phoenix BIOS, it is in an HP box, and they seem to have
> stripped the vast majority of the normal options out to either dumb it down
> or cut cost.  Either way, no option to either assign an IRQ to a slot, or
> to turn PnP off.  All you can do is reserve an IRQ for a "legacy" board.
> Sounds to me that this is more of a "legacy" BIOS.  Bought this machine
> second-hand just to learn Linux.  I get to jump right into the guts - I
> thought Linux was to the point where I wouldn't need to know about things
> like modprobe, insmod, demesg, interrupts, etc.  At least it's been fun.

Maybe it depends on the BIOS. I have PnP enabled in BIOS and still no
problems with this card. Best bet is then go buy some other cheapie
card. Or see if you can flash the BIOS. Boards that were designed as
PnP only, were designed for Windows only :( Another Gates legacy.

--
Hal Burgiss