Some problems with unicode (UTF-8)

Hello,

I am having some problems with unicode (xft2 & fontconfig?) on psyche.
This might be due to me not knowing enough to configure some things
correctly. In that case I would appreciate suggestions.

1) Except for the iso-10646 fonts under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/
   the fonts included in psyche have a very small unicode character range.
   Most either are just iso-8859-1 fonts or contain essentialy only
   the iso-8859-1 characters. This goes for the freetype and the old X fonts.

   Are there no decent fonts containing at least ALL characters in the
   iso-8859 parts 1-5, 78-10, 13-15, ISO 6937, CEN MES-1 European Unicode
   Subset, Microsoft code pages, Windows Glyph List 4, KOI8-R, etc.
   (And no, the "free" MS TT fonts don't).

   The only fonts that display most of Markus Kuhn's test file
   'UTF-8-demo.txt' halfway decently are some of the iso-10646 fonts
   in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/
   I suspect these are the unicode extensions he himself made to the
   "-misc-fixed-*" fonts.

2) I am missing:
   10x20   -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--20-200-75-75-C-100-ISO10646-1
   from the "-misc-fixed-*" collection 'fonts.alias' file.

   'less fonts.alias |grep 10x20' gives the old iso-8859-1 10x20 alias:
   10x20        -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso8859-1

   It would have been nice to also have an alias for the iso10646 10x20.
   (of course I can make one myself) or to give the old 10x20 alias to
   the new iso10646 font and nothing for the old font.

3) In my search for decent fonts with a comprehensive unicode range
   I tried dropping arial.tty from OfficeXP into ~/.fonts
   This works OK with gnome-terminal but gives strange results with
   xterm. This might be due to xterms unicode support which automatically
   seems to enable wide spacings (and I can't find how to switch this off).
   And maybe the xterm unicode support only works decently with fixed fonts?

   When I start xterm with 'xterm -fa Arial -fs 14' I indeed get a terminal
   with a nice arial font but the space between the fonts is about 3-4 times
   the font width itself. It does not react to adding '-geometry 80x35' or
   something like that (or to any of the other parameters).
   The resulting window is broader than the screen.

   Does anybody know how to correct this. (I have'nt yet looked into
   recompiling xterm).

4) The arial.tty from OfficeXP indeed covers a larger range of unicode
   characters than anything else I have available under psyche but
   there are some problems:

   When doing 'less UTF-8-demo.txt' (or 'cat UTF-8-demo.txt') some
   symbols don't display, for example accented greek characters, math
   symbols, etc.
   However under vim some of them do display correctly when using direct
   entry of unicode with "CTRL-V u 'hexnumber'"
   Is this a restriction of the unicode possibilities of 'less' and 'cat'.
   Again do these tools only work properly with unicode fixed fonts?
   Is there any possibility of correcting this.

   If there isn't it means that there is no possibility of using a nice
   freetype font uniformly in psyche.

5) How can you enter unicode characters directly into a gnome-terminal
   or xterm? Any kind of key combination trick available?

Alexander