Re: issues with KVM switches

Jason Gilbert wrote:

> I'm not sure if it's related, but I noticed a problem when plugging a
> KVM in after the machine had booted (it's setup for serial console).
> If the KVM was plugged in when the machine booted everything is fine.
>  I have not really investigated it though.

This is the expected behavior if there was no keyboard/mouse plugged
into the computer at bootup - it's not detected by BIOS and/or OS, so
the resource is not used. If there was a mouse/keyboard attached at
bootup, you should not have any problems with serial devices, but be
careful with PS/2 devices! PS/2 is *not* designed for hot plugging,
putting in a KVM instead of already used peripherals can damage both the
motherboard and the device! This is the reason why you always should use
a smart electronic KVM switch if dealing with PS/2 devices: It mimics a
device is present to the not currently used computer(s). Pulling out the
video chord while working is also not the best thing you could do to
your video card and your monitor. Wait for the energy saving mechanism
to shut off video and switch then, best with the monitor switched off.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/