Re: RH8 on its own unique time-space continuum

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 13:53, Pete Peterson wrote:
> > Yes, "ntpdate servername" is working for me.
> >
> > While I was researching the problem, I found that the ntpd startup
> > script (/etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd) calls ntpdate to update the time before
> > starting the ntpd daemon.
> >

> I had a similar problem in psyche.  "ntpdate" worked fine, but "ntpd"
> failed to synchronize and didn't log any problems in the "messages" file.
> I turned off "authenticate" which didn't help.  Commenting out the
> "multicast" line restored proper operation for me.

Well, it is possible that muticast was the culprit in my case too.  I
have only 4 lines left that are not commented in /etc/ntp.conf:

server time.nist.gov
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay  0.008

I guessed that the problem was authentication, but I didn't feel like
testing each one to positively identify it.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+