Re: security level not changing

On Sunday 03 November 2002 18:59, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 16:55:25 -0500 (EST)
> From: Matthew Saltzman <mjs@ces.clemson.edu>
> To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: security level not changing
>
> On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, w wrote:
> > >
> > > redhat-config-securitylevel is a front end for lokkit.  lokkit is a
> > > write-only app--it does not initialize itself to your current
> > > configuration, it always starts the same way.  So it's not a very
> > > good way to see what your current config is.
> > >
> > > Use "/etc/service iptables status" to see the current iptables
> > > configuration.  The configuration is stored in
> > > /etc/sysconfig/iptables.
> >
> > This is very curious .. I don't have a file /etc/sysconfig/iptables,
> > and when I enter /etc/service iptables status, nothing appears.  'rpm
> > -qa|grep lokkit' shows: lokkit-0.50-18  ... I don't have gnome-lokkit
> > installed.  I wonder what's going on here?  What should I do to
> > restore it to working order (perhaps reload iptables, lokkit ..
> > anything else?).
>
> First, sorry for my typo.  It should be "/sbin/service iptables
> status". If that isn't the problem, continue.
>
> Let's get the obvious out of the way first:
>
> Make sure that iptables is set to start at boot ("/sbin/chkconfig
> --list iptables") and turn it on if it is not ("/sbin/chkconfig
> iptables on"). Make sure it is actually running ("/sbin/service
> iptables start"). Run redhat-config-securitylevel or lokkit all the way
> through.  Then check again.

Thanks for the help.

That works .. at least now when I enter 'no firewall', I get:

[root /root]$ service iptables status
Table: filter
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

and when I set firewall at 'High', I get:

[root /root]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/iptables
# Firewall configuration written by lokkit
# Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
# Note: ifup-post will punch the current nameservers through the
#       firewall; such entries will *not* be listed here.
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT - [0:0]
-A INPUT -j RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT
-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p udp -m udp -s 198.6.1.60 --sport 53 -d 0/0 -j
ACCEPT
-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p udp -m udp -s 198.6.1.70 --sport 53 -d 0/0 -j
ACCEPT
-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --syn -j REJECT
-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p udp -m udp -j REJECT
COMMIT

but, either way, I still don't have the sysconfig/iptables file:

[root /root]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/iptables
cat: /etc/sysconfig/iptables: No such file or directory

Is this still a problem?

I also notice that the security window always says 'High' regardless of
current status .. but that's ok now that I know it's not supposed to be
an indicator.