Re: RH8 on its own unique time-space continuum

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 18:39, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > I have been able to set the time, but ntpd is not keeping my clock up to
> > date.  I am losing 3-5 minutes every day and have to set it by running
> > netdate manually.  I haven't looked into the problem yet.
>
> Check your /etc/ntp.conf file, get your server lines that you use to update
> to, and add the same type of lines above that section, except replace the
> word "server" with the word "restrict".
>
> Like below..
>
> restrict 1.2.3.4
> restrict 1.2.3.5
>
> server 1.2.3.4
> server 1.2.3.5
>
> That should allow ntpd to connect and work.

Well, the problem indeed was related to the default security settings,
but setting the restrict line didn't work for me.  Instead, I commented
out all authentication options in /etc/ntp.conf, then it started working
and I could see sync messages in /var/log/messages.  Until then, I never
saw and sync messages or error messages.  It just didn't work.  Maybe I
didn't read the release notes well enough, but I got the impression from
the install and from the date config utility that I did not have to do
anything else to ntp.conf.

Best Regards,
Keith
--