Re: security level not changing

On Sunday 03 November 2002 14:02, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:27:43 -0500 (EST)
> From: Matthew Saltzman <mjs@ces.clemson.edu>
> To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: security level not changing
>
> On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, w wrote:
> > I can't get the security level to change when using
> > redhat-config-securitylevel .. it just stays at 'High" all the time.
> >  I don't think it's actually high though, because I can use real
> > player through the web, and the manual says that it should not work
> > on 'High' security.  I have iptables installed, but not ipchains, and
> > when I check services, iptable is running.  I also tried entering
> > '/sbin/service iptables restart' after trying to make a config
> > change, but when I called up the config, it was still sitting on
> > 'High'.  Any suggestions as to how I might get this working as
> > intended?
>
> redhat-config-securitylevel is a front end for lokkit.  lokkit is a
> write-only app--it does not initialize itself to your current
> configuration, it always starts the same way.  So it's not a very good
> way to see what your current config is.
>
> Use "/etc/service iptables status" to see the current iptables
> configuration.  The configuration is stored in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.

This is very curious .. I don't have a file /etc/sysconfig/iptables, and
when I enter /etc/service iptables status, nothing appears.  'rpm
-qa|grep lokkit' shows: lokkit-0.50-18  ... I don't have gnome-lokkit
installed.  I wonder what's going on here?  What should I do to restore
it to working order (perhaps reload iptables, lokkit .. anything else?).