Re: Setup of NFS

On Sun Nov 03 2002 at 08:56, Mike Chambers wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 08:35, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > If you want it less insecure use a domain designamtion insteas of *
> > above. For example:
> > /home/download *.harvard.edu(rw,no_root_squash)
>
> The exports file on server side seems to work fine, as I can manually
> mount the NFS dir on the client side.  It's the client side I believe
> that is the problem.

On the server, do "showmount -e" and it should show the list of
available NFS exported directories on that box.

On the client, do this: "showmount -e server".

It should return the same thing.

If it returns an error on the server, then that's a bit of a problem.
If it returns an error on the client, then make sure that portmap is
running (service portmap status).  If not, start it and try the
showmount command again.

It is still doesn't work, check that tcp_wrappers isn't denying you
access (on both the client and the server).  /etc/hosts.allow and
/etc/hosts.deny are the magic files.

It all works for me no problem, even between a mix of rh80, 73 and
72 boxes.  (And with hosts.deny not allowing any connections not
specifically mentioned in hosts.allow).

> Mike Chambers

Cheers
Tony