Re: RH8 on its own unique time-space continuum

On 2 Nov 2002, Keith Winston wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 11:29, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Kind of a repost....sorry...
> >
> > Has anyone else done a RH8 install to discover that whether you choose
> > net-time, or not, even root can not adjust the time or date?  One person
> > mailed me with the report that he had experienced similar problems with null
> > (as I had also encountered)...
>
> I have been able to set the time, but ntpd is not keeping my clock up to
> date.  I am losing 3-5 minutes every day and have to set it by running
> netdate manually.  I haven't looked into the problem yet.
>
> Best Regards,
> Keith

I don't recall the beginning of this thread, but if this is a laptop
(especially a Dell), then there is an issue with the battert status
applet (see Bugzilla #74645).  There are a number of workarounds suggested
in the bugzilla report.  I keep my clock in sync with adjtimex, but you
need to be careful about following the suggestions made by "adjtimex
--sync".  They are usually more extreme than necessary.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs@clemson.edu