Re: Throttling ethernet to emulate 56k

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 12:05:34PM -0800, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> One of my users wants to using Linux to act as a simple router.  He
> needs to emulate a 56k line through the linux router transparently.  All
> packets would pass through unchanged, but the bandwidth would be
> limited, preferably dynamically.  Does anyone have any ideas?

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/

Bandwidth limiting outgoing traffic is called "shaping" and can
be done very flexibly:

"Queueing Disciplines for Bandwidth Management"
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.qdisc.html

/usr/share/doc/iproute-2.4.7/README.iproute2+tc

Bandwidth limiting incoming traffic that's not being forwarded is
called "policing" and can be done only by dropping excess incoming
packets.  That's not too bad for tcp as tcp will recognize that
condition and slow its transmission rate.

"Chapter 14. Advanced & less common queueing disciplines"
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.adv-qdisc.ingress.html