Re: Resolution Help

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:07:54 -0600
>From: Thomas Dodd <ted@cypress.com>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Resolution Help
>

>James McArthur wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you tried xf86config, and manually checking to make sure that you
>
>xf86config is not included in the Red Hat XF86 packages.

Incorrect.

>See the beta (limo-list) archives. redhat-config-xfree86 is
>the _ONLY_ tool included. vi/emacs/<editor of choice> still
>work though.

Also incorrect.

There are several tools for configuring XFree86 that exist inside
XFree86, and externally from XFree86, some of which are rather
obsolete, and some of which are no longer shipped for one reason
or another in Red Hat Linux.  Since a lot of these configuration
utilities have similar names, people very very often get them
mixed up, or spell them incorrectly.

xf86config - ancient original commandline based question and
             answer config tool that has been part of XFree86 for
             ages.  This is entirely text commandline based and
             sucks majorly.  It is included in RHL 8.0 still more
             or less because it got missed by my axe.  Most
             likely this will die painfully next release.  The
             cavemen still using this can feel free to complain
             to /dev/null when this happens.   <grin>

XF86Setup  - First GUI based config tool included with XFree86
             itself.  It is TCL/TK based, 16 color vga,
             horrendously ugly, non-intuitive UI, unmaintained,
             and obsolete.  It is included still in XFree86
             source code, but it is disabled and most likely
             contains many bugs.  Hasn't been in RHL for quite a
             while.

xf86cfg    - New GUI/TUI config tool that first appeared in
             XFree86 4.0.  It supports a GUI mode implemented
             in using Xt/Xaw/whatever (shudder), and also has a
             text mode which is ncurses based (which most people
             are unaware of also).  While the GUI is an
             improvement over the other older caveman tools
             above, it is only marginally better IMHO.  This was
             in RHL up until 7.3, but was removed from RHL 8.0
             intentionally, and will not be returning.  I made
             this a spec file conditional build time thing to
             satiate any complainers.  <grin>

Xconfigurator - The text mode Red Hat XFree86 config tool which
                has been the default X config tool for ages,
                but is now obsolete and removed from the distro
                in 8.0.  Xconfigurator originally was
                basically a newt based front end glued on top of
                xf86config which was kludged and abused more and
                more over time into the unmaintainable mess that
                it is today.  A new config tool was needed which
                is more modern, user friendly, etc. and
                continuing to kludge things into Xconfigurator
                simply wasn't scalable or maintainable, so it was
                dropped for 8.0, and redhat-config-xfree86 was
                born in its place. It won't return.

X -configure - The X server itself can generate a config file
               in a pinch which can be used as is in many cases,
               or can be tweaked by hand if necessary.

redhat-config-xfree86 - The current supported XFree86 config tool
                        in Red Hat Linux 8.0 and future releases.
                        It is python+gtk based, and is the only
                        officially supported X config tool.

This tool will be enhanced over time to try and provide the most
useful configuration tasks that end users really need to have.
The goal of the tool is to be end-user friendly, and to minimize
the amount of configuration required.  As many things that can be
sensibly autoconfigured generally will be.  Complex config items
will likely not be supported in the tool, or will only be
available with some -advanced option or somesuch - if anything.
A lot of the things that have traditionally _needed_ to be
configured before, are starting to gain autodetection support in
the X server.  As more and more things go towards autodetection,
etc. - the need to explicitly configure them in the config file
becomes less and less of a need.  The tools become simplified,
the users don't run away in fear, and life is good.

Be sure to report bugs that occur with this tool, as well as
feature enhancement requests into Red Hat bugzilla.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer