Re: unsubscribe

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:22:43 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@mindspring.com>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>
>On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Francisco Javier Palma M. wrote:
>
>> pliz
>
>  ok, here's a suggestion.  is there any way that red hat could,
>on *all* of its mailing lists, flag any messages whose subject
>and/or body consists of the single word "unsubscribe" (or
>"unsuscribe" as it's commonly spelled) and, rather than pass
>it on to the list, reply to the sender with a boilerplate note
>reading something like:
>
>  "based on your recent posting to <insert red hat list here>,
>you appear to want to unsubscribe from this list.  if this is
>the case, please go to <insert URL here for list management>
>and follow the instructions there."
>
>  it's unlikely that this would reject any legitimate mail,
>if the entire contents of the post is that single word.
>is this feasible?

GNU Mailman, which runs all Red Hat mailing lists, already
supports this feature.  It's called "administrivia", and it is
designed to try to catch administrative requests sent to the list
address instead of the request address, and deal with them rather
than spamming the list.  I've no idea what if (any|all of our
lists) have this enabled or not, or if it is default enabled on
new lists or not, but I personally favor it being enabled by
default and on all lists.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer