Re: Sendmail

On Thu Oct 31 2002 at 20:02, "John S. Dey" wrote:

> I just installed RH 8.0. Set up Squid that serves up http to private
> network clients.  Would like to use Sendmail to serve up email to the
> same clients and am stumped.  I had been told on RH 7.3 to try telnet
> <server IP> 110.  Now I have a working telnet service and when I try
> nothing happen (a window pops up on my winXP machine and stays).  Any
> ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

(your explaination of your problem is rather vague... telnet
service, but where?  etc).

sendmail is a mail transport agent that acts to accept email and
then deliver it to where it is supposed to go.  The smtp port is 25.

This is not what you want, you are referring to collecting email
from your mail server.  Use pop for that, the pop server listens on
port 110.

Make sure that you have the imap rpm installed (it contains the pop
server), then "chkconfig ipop3 on" to enable it.  Now you will be
able to collect your email.

If you want to sending email out from winblows box via your linux
box, then that will require sendmail to be configured and running.
You'll need to get it to listen to the appropriate interfaces other
than 127.0.0.1, then add entries to /etc/mail/access to allow relay.

If you don't understand what any of this means, then don't do it
until you do.

Cheers
Tony