Re: cloning

>From: Stephen Liu <satimis@writeme.com>
>To: "Jim Christiansen" <christiansen_j@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: cloning
>Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:04:00 +0800
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>I have been advised that Monde supports RH8.0.  My remaining questions are
>as follows (quoted from my posting on another lists) :
>
>-- Quote --
> >> # 2) Can Mondo run backup direct from CDRom without booting up the OS
>of
> >> # the PC
>
> > No, the backup needs to happen while the OS is running.

Actually, I just boot from the cd and "NUKE" my system without any problems.

>I expect to clarify a liitle bid further on "...without booting up the OS
>of the PC".  Currently I use InstantRecovery.  I just put InstantRecovery
>CD on CDRom and the backup media (CRR/CDRW) on CDWriter.  Boot up the PC
>with InstantRecovery to proceed backup.  I am not aware whether the
>harddrive has been booted up.  So my terminology in this respect is
>"without booting up the OS of the PC".  Does Monde work in the same way?

Just stick in disk 1 of your 4 to 8 cd disk Mondo Archive and let'er rip.

> >> # 4) Can backup be only made on those files having changed from
>previous
> >> # backup so that the backup time can be reduced.
>
> > Yes, we use a differential type backup method if you chose.
>
>Wonderfully.  I have been searching for this backup software for some
>times.  Time is precious.
>
>-- Unquoted --
>
>Has you had any comment

Well, mondo is very versatile.  It adjusts for different drive sizes, so it
works well when your new drives are different from the old crashed ones.

The first time I used it, I must have done something wrong, because the
first cd (of the 5 or 6) wouldn't boot.  Luckily I still had a working
system.  I just re-archived with maximum compression, and it rolled along
fine.

ONE MORE THING -->  Be sure to provide adequate coolling.  I Know that Hugo
even remarks on this.  I have to open up the cases or my cdroms will begin
to fail on reading...

Try it, it is a great system, and easy to use.