Re: add item to menu in gnome

If you installed from an rpm, there may be an acroread.desktop file
lying around on your system. The rpm I used put it in
/etc/X11/applnk/Graphics.

If you can't find an acroread.desktop file on your system, go into
/usr/share/applications and check out some of the *.desktop files to get
a hang of the format. You won't need to replicate all the different
language entries. It should look something like this if you want it in
your main menu:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Acrobat Reader
Comment=View PDF Files
Exec=acroread
Icon=acroread.xpm
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Office;X-Red-Hat-Base;

If you already have an acroread.desktop file, just add the Categories
line. The second category entry ("Office") determines which submenu it
shows up in, and the X-Red-Hat-Base will force it into the main
directory (if you want it under the Extras menu, use X-Red-Hat-Extra).

One potentially confusing thing about the category keywords is that they
do not necessarily correspond with the name of the submenu. You'll have
to poke around in /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/applications.vfolder-info and the
*.directory files in /usr/share/desktop-menu-files/ to see what keywords
correspond to what menus. applications.vfolder-info is an XML file that
defines the subfolders/submenus in the applications menu. The entry for
"Multimedia" looks like this:

    <!-- Multimedia -->
    <Folder>
      <Name>Multimedia</Name>
      <Desktop>Multimedia.directory</Desktop>
      <Query>
        <And>
          <Keyword>Application</Keyword>
          <Keyword>AudioVideo</Keyword>
        </And>
      </Query>

      <Exclude>vumeter.desktop</Exclude>
      <Exclude>reclevel.desktop</Exclude>

      <DontShowIfEmpty/>
    </Folder>

This shows that it gets its desktop properties from the
Multimedia.directory file (which is in /usr/share/desktop-menu-files/),
and looks for *.desktop files that include the keywords Application and
AudioVideo. (If you're wondering why there's no menu called "Multimedia"
-- that's because the Multimedia.directory sets the name as "Sound &
Video". so you can change the menu names as well, by changing the
setting in the *.directory file.)

Michael Knepher <limbo@bluethingy.com>