Re: Kernel Builds

Tony,

Thanks for the bit on the EXTRAVERSION variable in the Makefile.  That
was causing me problems with some of the modules.  I figured out I had
to do a make menuconfig or one of the others and I was going to write
today to find out how I build modules without tacking 'custom' to the
end of the kernel name.

I am looking to get a Visioneer USB scanner working.  The OneTouch
8600.  If I can do that, I am that much closer to getting rid of
Windows.  Just need to wean off Quicken and get my digital video editing
up and running.  However, scanning is next.

The issue I am having with the SMP Athlon kernel is the with the drivers
for my printer.  The drivers do not work in SMP.  They claim it is the
kernel but it may be the code for the drivers.  I have also found
posting on Web about issues with USB and SMP kernels however, they seem
quite dated.

Thanks again for your help.

FYI is your are going to use PPTP in 8.0 edit the ppp_mppe.c file as
follows:

//#include <linux/malloc.h>
#include <linux/slab.h>

Otherwise, the build fails.