Compiling kernal not a good experience ..

Hello

my first experience with compiling kernal wasnt that
good in fact it was filled with errors  first i
install the kernal source ,then i moved into the src
directory & issue the make xconfig command ,next i
went into the filesystem & choose ntfs filesystem then
i save & exit .
next i issue the make dep command ,then make clean & @
last make bzImage .
then i copy the custom kernel file in the boot path &
make a lilo entry as required ..
but as soon as i boot up i am loaded with problems
"Although i got ntfs support but so many things went
away
like usb device support is filled with errors also the
printing support is gone & i am left with a half
working system :(
how can i compile kernal & just get ntfs support in my
current kernal

thanks

=====