Re: need help with Linux 8.0

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dunn, Jeffrey" <Jeffrey.Dunn@northropgrumman.com>
To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 10:31 AM
Subject: need help with Linux 8.0

> I have never used Linux before, and have been tasked with setting up a
> firewall. Does Linux 8 need third party software for the firewall, and
could
> someone give me pointers on how to get started?

First off, Linux is linux, there is no version number.  Unless you consider
the kernel, as linux (opinions vary).  So I think you mean Red Hat Linux
v8.0.

Second, No, you can use what comes with Red Hat Linux v8.0 to setup a
firewall.  There is a program called Lokkit that you can use to initially
setup your firewall.  Then you can add/remove as you see fit, via from
lokkit or manually.

Here is a URL to Red Hat's lokkit program to help get you started..

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-bas
ic-firewall.html

Also here is a URL to netfilter/iptables web site to read more on how
iptables work and such...

http://www.iptables.org/

Hope this helps,

Mike