ESD high cpu load

I just can't beat this, and can't obviously figure it out.  ESD cpu load
goes super high and gnome becomes basically unusable to me.  Also I get
no sound either.  This has happened twice.  I reinstalled and it worked
for a bit of time, once I run updates and continue to use gnome this
starts.  HUP'ing or killing esd corrects the issue for a bit, but it
starts again.

Has anyone seen this or have any ideas of what it could be?

My laptop is a inspiron 4000 with ES1983S Maestro-3i PCI Audio
Accelerator, the module is maestro.  I am running 8.0 with all patches
including the latest official kernel from redhat.

Thanks.