Re: IPCHAINS modules to unload and IPTABLES modules to load.

On Tue Oct 29 2002 at 15:24, "jdow" wrote:

> From: <steveo@syslang.net>

> > =>now that i think about it, doesn't "service iptables start"
> > =>automatically load ip_tables anyway?

Yes, but...

> > I'd be careful here. If you load iptables then that's all you get. You
> > really want to explicitly load any additional other modules you might need
> > for what you're doing. e.g., If you allow any ftp traffic then you
> > probaly want to load ip_contrack and ip_contrack_ftp.

True.

> /etc/sysconfig/iptables or the one you run out of /etc/ppp/ip-up.local
> if you have a dynamic ppp type connection.

There is a *much* better way to automatically have the all modules
you want loaded along with ip_tables.

As an example, do something like this in /etc/modules.conf...

alias	ipchains	off
alias	ipfwadm		off
add above ip_tables	iptable_filter iptable_mangle iptable_nat ip_conntrack ipt_state ipt_unclean ipt_LOG ipt_limit
add above ip_conntrack	ip_conntrack_ftp ip_conntrack_irc
add above iptable_nat	ipt_MASQUERADE ip_nat_ftp

It works _really_ well...  hey look ma, no hands!  :-)

(btw, it doesn't need to be as complicated as this example)

> {^_^}

Cheers
Tony