(graphical) Login manager prefs all messed up

I recently installed RH 8.0 on my PC as a dual-boot to Windows 2000, because I
am trying to learn Linux.  I have enough knowledge so far to use some basic
setup tools, console or X based, but I haven't been able to fix this problem
on my own.  Anyways, two days after I installed it, I changed my resolution
and got a "unable to load graphical login manager" message when I logged out.
Now, whenever I boot up, I get the default grey box on purple to login.  I've
tried resetting the KDE and Login manager themes, changing resolutions
(again), running disk checks, among other things, and haven't been able to
solve it.  Any help would be _greatly_ appreciated,

Dave
c64@mailandnews.com