Re: Hardening against attacks?

--- Dallas <dallas@crd-dwc.com> wrote:
> I am looking for recommendations in hardening RedHat
> 8.0 from both virus and attacks, to protect a
> network. I currently use (4) Rehat 7.1, based x86
> systems to protect an internal network.
>
> However, I am tired of finding someone or mostly
> servers/pc's that have been taken over without the
> owners knowledge attacking us. Or probing for holes.
>
> I want to find a monitoring software that will
> detect an attack, find the source and send an abuse
> report & notify me, maybe more.

The problem here is that security and virus prevention
is not an event. It is a process, that is long and
much work, and continual. There is no magic bullet. No
one tool, or one answer. In order to securify and
protect against these things, some common sense must
be employed. For example, using mail clients that
don't allow VBscript to run, such as outlook. ( I
picked this one because I notice that you are using it
). Also, sending and receiving HTML mail as opposed to
plain text ( I also picked this one for obvious
reasons ). This can also drastically reduce problems.
Sometimes it's the little things that matter.
Sometimes we don't have control over things. Using
portscan detection, libwrap options, virus stripping
programs, attack fingerprint detection software and
everything you can think of... that's protection. Not
enough, but it's a start. To really securify and
protect, you need protection in layers... multiple
layers. Reading is the prevention you need.

=====
Kevin C. McConnell --RHCE-- <Red Hat Certified Engineer>