Grub/Kernel Question

I have recompiled my kernel several times by using the steps:
- make mrproper
- make xconfig
- make dep
- make clean
- make modules
- make modules_install
- make install

After that completes I also run a mkinitrd command to create the image file.
When it all said I done I can go into my /boot directory and I see the new
vmlinux file, image file, and system map files.  I do not have a new modules
file of a new config file.
So how do I create those files or from whence do the come?  Needless to say my
boot under the new kernel fails so I have revert back to the old kernel.

As always any and all responses are appreciated.......Thanks and Beer Me