Re: Fonts and sub-pixel hinting/rendering

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:27:16AM -0500, Kevin.Lisciotti@bos.frb.org wrote:

> After searching the mailing list archives, I have not seen this addressed
> as of yet. Anyway, I've installed my TTF's and have them working ok. My
> problem is that the TTF's appear fuzzy (ex. in StarOffice). I read an
> article on TheRegister website yesterday that stated if you have the
> FreeType package installed (which i do) that under KDE you can go to the
> control panel -> system -> font installer and check the box for sub-pixel
> rendering and restart X which will clean up the fonts.

If it was the article that mentioned the freetype config option:
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER, this is off in RH's freetype. I
got the src.rpm and checked it. Not sure this is even necessary with
Xft2 since all my fonts look pretty good :) Has anybody tried this?

In ./include/freetype/config/ftoption.h:

#define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER

I beleive it enables hinting for TT fonts.

--
Hal Burgiss