Re: key repeat stops on Psyche

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Bob Arendt wrote:
>

>>Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>>Interesting.  I find that occasionally, keys don't repeat.  If I lift my
>>>finger and try the key again, it usually works fine.  I also notice that
>>>very infrequently, if I press a key with the control key held down, the
>>>character will print instead of doing the control-key action.  Trying the
>>>key combo again usually works fine.  This happens on my Latitude but not
>>>on any of my desktops.
>>>[...]
>>
>>Check to make sure autorepeat is on in the xserver.  Use xset utility
>>(and "man xset").  Type
>>xset q
>

> $ xset q
> Keyboard Control:
>   auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
>   auto repeat delay:  660    repeat rate:  25
>   auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
>                         fa9fffffffdfe5ff
>                         ffffffffffffffff
>                         ffffffffffffffff
> [...]
>
> Not sure how to read the auto-repeating-keys map.
>

>>and see if autorepeat is on, the delay (how long you press before
>>it repeats) and the rate.  If it's off, you can use
>>xset r
>>to turn it on.  The default for the setting can be put in
>>/etc/X11/XF86Config (or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4) , usually
>>something like:
>>     Option  "AutoRepeat"    "500 5"
>>In the "InputDevice" section.
>

> That line is there but commented out.  Does that mean it's the default?
> (It does in some config files like ssh.config.)

Looks like autorepeat is on.  I have particular development app
that sometimes turns off autorepeat, then crashes.  I've gotten
used to using "xset r" to re-enable autorepeat.

The autorepeat values you have don't appear to be the be the  same
as the XFree default (should be 500 5, as shown)

You can uncomment the line and that will be the xserver default.
I don't know if something in the gnome setup modifies it.
You can change it after the fact with:
xset r rate 200 40
(for the impatient - 200 msec delay, 40 char/sec).

> It doesn't seem to really explain my problem, which is that key repeats
> usually work just fine, but sometimes the system seems to "forget" to
> repeat (or control) a random key until I "remind" it by trying again.  I
> know for sure that I've never changed any of these config files, and I
> certainly don't do so from minute to minute...
>
> It's not clear to me either if this is quite the same as the original
> poster's problem, which seems to occur in longer stretches.

Yes, this does look different.  Maybe your keyboard retains some state info
(like it's trying to complete a "compose" character)?  Sorry this didn't help.
-Bob Arendt