Re: any interest in a multimedia red hat list?

Andrew Smith wrote:
>> is there, somewhere, a mailing list/forum devoted strictly
>>to multimedia under linux -- audio stuff, dvd playing, digital
>>video, and the like?  if not, what are the chances of establishing one?
>>
>> given that red hat has mailing lists devoted to stuff like
>>rpm, kickstart and other specific topics, perhaps a MM list would
>>fit in there nicely.
>>
>> just a thought.

A good one.

> Yeah - there they could make announcements about the different MM
> formats that they have removed support for in each release as it
> happens :-) :-) :-)
>
> I really think RedHat should sort out HOW to provide MP3 and DVD
> support at install time rather than listening to the idiots in
> their legal department (I really mean that MANY legal departments
> are full of idiots :-) and just ignoring it.

Their legal department may or may not be full of idiots in some cases (i
can't say since i've never met them), but this is certainly not one of
those cases.

The recently clarified MP3 licensing conditions are (if you side with
the majority) in violation of the GPL.  Red Hat cannot distribute
products including them and still charge a fee for their software.

I'm sure there are ways around this, like including a "bonus CD" for
free, but they're likely not to want to test the waters in that area -
too many lawyers...

> It's a pity that if you install WinXPHome you get MP3 support in
> the basic system - and when you buy a DVD drive (well for all the
> ones I have bought myself or for others - about 5 different models
> - total of about 9 of them over the years) you get windows DVD
> player software that works with any DVD (ignoring region issues ...)

You're right there, but you have to pay for a license to use them.
Therefore they pay the people who want money for MP3/DVD development

> Yet now if you install RH 8.0 you don't get these things and have to
> go and find them and install them (and your typical home user would
> probably need help to do that)
>
> Oh well - I guess MM is not a priority? Since MP3 and DVD are really
> up there at the top of the list of music and video formats.

You're certainly right there, but i suspect that the problem will have
to be solved at the political level*.

Paul

* This comes from the ISO 9-layer networking model:
	Physical
	Link
	Network
	Transport