Re: How to Uninstall Linux 8.0?

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Tom Diehl wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Robert L. Cochran wrote:
>
> > If you want to install Windows 2000 or XP, I think the Windows
> > installation programs will automatically come up with their versions of
> > fdisk if the target drive has insufficient free space, no Windows
> > partitions, or is uninitialized (that is, brand new). I'm not sure if
> > this is true of Windows 9x or ME. If not just whip out the Windows fdisk
> > program and use it to re-partition your drive as you want. Don't use
> > Linux fdisk to format for a Windows partition even if it has that
> > capability. Use what Windows provides.
>
> I think part of the problem is that older dos/win9x fdisk will not delete
> linux partitions. I have run into this before and had to use the linux
> fdisk to delete the linux partitions and then use an M$ fdisk to create
> the M$ partitions.
>
> HTH,

You're wrong. Older dos/win9x fdisk *WILL* delete linux partitions, it's
just slightly move involved and dangerous because you are dealing with a
non-dos partition. Best thing to if you're running a Microsoft OS is to
replace Microsoft's fdisk with Free FDISK v1.10 beta. It can be found at
http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/ and is part of the Free DOS project.

  Features:
     * Supports hard disks up to 128GB in size.
     * Has the "standard" fdisk user interface.
     * Command-line support is compatible with Microsoft's undocumented
       FDISK commands.
     * Has extended command-line support to give you complete control
       over hard disk configuration from batch files.
     * Is designed for both occasional use as well as large scale
       automated operating system roll-outs and cloning projects..
     * Comes with BootEasy, a compact multiboot loader.
     * Can be customized with an easy to use configuration file.
     * Allows the use of boot loaders from other operating systems.
     * Free FDISK is Open Source and licensed under the GNU GPL.
     * Supports Non-DOS partition types.