Re: set window manager

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 11:08, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Some highly skilled individual has gone to great lenghts to hide the
> menu item that allows one to set a window manager preference.
>
> I give... you win.... Uncle
>
> Now where is it located.
>
> PS-accolades to the hidee...

Red Hat ships with GNOME and KDE as official desktops (and Windowmaker
is on the CDs).  I think the official way to change desktops is to run
/usr/bin/switchdesk, then pick between GNOME and KDE.  This sets your
/etc/sysconfig/desktop.

If you are talking about which Window Manager to run with GNOME, I'm not
sure.  However, I run either Icewm, KDE, or Windowmaker depending on
what I'm doing.  Because I often change environments, I boot into run
level 3.  I set up aliases in my ~/.bashrc so I can start which ever one
I want and modified the ~/.Xclients-default script to notice which one I
want and to start it.

Here are the relevant ~./bashrc aliases:
alias x='WM=kde; export WM; startx'
alias ice='WM=ice; export WM; startx'
alias wm='WM=wmaker; export WM; startx'

And here is what my ~/.Xclients-default looks like:
# Added code to check for different window managers.  The
# WM variable is set in .bashrc aliases.

if [ $WM == "ice" ]; then
    gkrellm --geometry +1325+40 &
    xterm -geometry +85+40 &
    xterm -geometry +685+550 &
    exec icewm
elif [ $WM == "wmaker" ]; then
    exec wmaker
else
    exec startkde
fi

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse things more ;)

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+