Re: MySQL help

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 16:13, Ryan McDougall wrote:

> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start
> > or
> > service mysql start

use "redhat-config-services" and the mysqld service will start at boot
up.... but I'd stick with trying the service mysqld restart command
until you figure out any problems starting.

> Ok so I tried the /etc/init.d/mysqld start and it almost worked it returned
> this error:
> Initializing MySQL database:  Sorry, the host 'dhcp-482-2416' could not be
> looked up.
> Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
> If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
> the --force option
>                                                            [FAILED]
> So what do I do to resolve this one, do I use the force option? Sorry for my
> ignorance and Thanx for the help.
>
> P.S.
> My /etc/hosts file looks like this:
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost

Try
host dhcp-482-2416 to see if you get an IP address back from a
nameserver. What do you have in /etc/resolv.conf?

A guess would be you can get away with an entry of
ip-address		dhcp-482-2416
in /etc/hosts - but that would probably need an update each time dhcp
changes..

A few thoughts just before I run to get something to eat.

--
NAME    :	Adam Allen.
EMAIL   :	adam@dynamicinteraction.co.uk

COMMENT :	~~~~ insert your favourite signature comment here ~~~~

PGP
:	http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=adam%40dynamicinteraction.co.uk