Re: KDE and LogOff

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:48:34 +0100 (BST)
John Horne <J.Horne@plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:

> One further point, just for your info. If you change
> /etc/sysconfig/desktop to include the line 'DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE' then
> you'll get the kdm display manager, rather than the gdm one. You'll
> need to restart X. From kdm you get the menu to shutdown, reboot etc.
>

> John.

Hello, John :)
I wasn't even following this thread very closely, but something drew me
to it this morning (possibly a need to go back to bed :)), but in your
message that I am replying to, you answered a long standing question
I've had, and a new complaint I have about Red Hat 8 (similar to the
gentleman that you responded to, about logging out and shutting down
from KDE)  Now, I have the old KDE logout menu back, I have the face
browser back (I wondered why it wouldn't work after I had configured it
in the KDE control center), and I put a picture of Johnny Cash by my
name just to see if I could change the image :)
If I understand the original poster's question, your answer about the
/etc/sysconfig/desktop file should do the trick

> One further point, just for your info. If you change
> /etc/sysconfig/desktop to include the line 'DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE' then
> you'll get the kdm display manager, rather than the gdm one. You'll
> need to restart X. From kdm you get the menu to shutdown, reboot etc.

My only addition to your response would be that anyone who tries this
makes sure they get the syntax the same as in the default file, which
would make the new line DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"  (I'm no guru at this
stuff, I'm just honestly assuming that doing it different than that
wouldn't work)

Thanks Again :)
Steven P. Ulrick