recompiling ppp - advice for best method.

I've needed to make some small changes to PPP (to satisfy some testing
for University projects). Since my usual compiling skills consist of the
./configure, make, make install set of commands- I'm stopping to ask for
the best way through this. (I've started to search the web; but
hopefully some hints and tips will be better)

Ideally I would like to modify drivers/net/ppp_generic.c to make my
modifications- then recompile, popping out some compiled code in the
form of an updated loadable module.

I'm working on an assumption that the module ppp_generic.o in
/lib/modules can simply be overwritten with the recompiled code?

Thanks In Advance.
--
NAME    :	Adam Allen.
EMAIL   :	adam@dynamicinteraction.co.uk

COMMENT :	~~~~ insert your favourite signature comment here ~~~~

PGP
:	http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=adam%40dynamicinteraction.co.uk