Re: Problems with XWindows

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Rimas wrote:

> I can connect via ssh or local console it is no problem.
> But if I try to login to KDE I get these error messages:
>
> Oct 22 15:30:50 sybrep modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> char-major-10-134

If you read /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-17.8.0/Documentation/devices.txt then
you'll see that device 10:134 is  APM.  So perhaps a temporary
work around to switch off APM in your BIOS may get rid of the problem.

> Oct 22 15:30:57 sybrep kdm[7424]: pam_timestamp: timestamp file
> `/var/run/sudo/root/:0' is too old, disallowing access to kde for UID 0

pam_timestamp is a new feature of RH8.0.  A user logged into the console
who enters authentication tokens for a root-restricted task will cause a
time-limited (5 minutes IIRC) allowance of further access to other
root-password-requriing tasks for the user logged into the console
(indicated by panel's "key" icon).  So you don't have to keep on entering
root's password multiple times.  What happens if you "touch" the
"/var/run/sudo/root/:0" with a more recent date.  Alternatively using
pam_timestamp_check might solve the problem.

I have seen this happen a couple of times in the log when running other
root-authenticated tasks.  But they've always popped up a dialog box for
root password and the task works fine after that.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley