Re: rpm storage location while up2date downloading

> I've started to take up Paul Gear's suggestion of using strace, but I
> can't make head or tail of it so far.  I can only assume that he's correct
> and that the file is held in memory as it's downloaded.

I'm not super familiar with the file system under Linux, but is it possible
to map a memory region to disk?  I can think of several ways that up2date
could actually be "using" the disk to hold the transient downloaded data
WITHOUT an actual filename showing up in some directory.

Perhaps it commits the downloaded data to the swap area, or perhaps it's
using some form of file-system supported "temporary file" mechanism.  Both
of these methods could use the disk to hold the downloaded data without a
file showing up in a directory somewhere.

Also, when a file is open for CREATE/WRITE operations under Linux, unless
something like flush() or any other "commit-type" function is called, I'm
not sure if the actually file would show up in an "ls" command until the
file was actually committed to disk (like flush or close).

If a filename WAS being used (that could be located for whatever reason), I
would guess it would be in /tmp or perhaps /var/tmp.  Is the up2date source
code available?  If so, perhaps you could find out by looking at the source.

BB.