Reading a CD Volume ID

Is there a command or way to ready the volume id of a cd in the drive?

I'm building some autoupdate scripts on rw discs and I'd like to
implement in the script a little check to see that the right volume is
in the drive.

I have a disc called tools and I want to run a script every week that
downloads antivirus dat files and rebuilds my tools cd. The cd is about
500 megs so far of various stuff I use when I'm out in the field.

So from cron I'd like it to check if I have the tools cd in the drive.
If it is, on wednesday nights erase the cd.
Then download the new dat files from mcafee and norton.
rebuild the iso image of the directory /root/tools.
burn it to cd.
delete the iso file.

I have the downloads working and I'm pretty confident I have the mkisofs
command right, I just need to check which cd is in the drive.

Thanks,
--
-=/>Thom
Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche) running Linux Kernel 2.4.18-17.8.0