Re: File Deletion issue

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Oisin C. Feeley wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2002, Russell Johns wrote:
>
> > H-
> >
> > forgive my ignorance, but I'm not understanding whats going wrong here
> > essentially a large file that I own I can't delete...
> > why do I not have permission to delete this file???
> >
> > [rcj@Merak2 Archive]$ rm rcj.iso
> > rm: cannot remove `rcj.iso': Permission denied
> > [rcj@Merak2 Archive]$ chmod 777 rcj.iso
> > [rcj@Merak2 Archive]$ rm rcj.iso
> > rm: cannot remove `rcj.iso': Permission denied
> > [rcj@Merak2 Archive]$ ls -l
> > total 423972
> > -rwxrwxrwx    1 rcj      xcdroast 433717248 Oct 21 10:39 rcj.iso
> > [rcj@Merak2 Archive]$ chown rcj.rcj rcj.iso
> > [rcj@Merak2 Archive]$ rm rcj.iso
> > rm: cannot remove `rcj.iso': Permission denied
> > [rcj@Merak2 Archive]$ rm -f rcj.iso
> > rm: cannot remove `rcj.iso': Permission denied
> > [rcj@Merak2 Archive]$
> >

> What does "lsattr rcj.iso" show?  If there's an "i" in the mode then it
> means that superuser has made the file immutable and "chattr -i rcj.iso"
> by superuser is the only way you're going to be able to delete it.

actually, just based on the error message, it can't be a lsattr issue.
if you try to remove a file from a directory on which you have no write
permission, the error message will read:

  rm: cannot remove `blah': Permission denied.

OTOH, if it's been "chattr'ed" to be immutable, then what you should
see is

  rm: cannot remove 'blah': Operation not permitted.

someone with too much time on their hands,
rday