Re: LogWatch 2.6

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 19:46:57 -0400, Jason wrote:

> I had asked about this earlier.  No one responded.  I don't get any of
> my SSH connections listed; still get stunnel and printer connects; but
> not the ssh logins.  I would love to know what I need to do to get SSH
> connections in the logwatch email again.

See whether there is a bug report about it for Psyche or the beta
versions before Psyche. Try whether increasing the logwatch logging
detail helps.

I would have responded if I had found the time to take a look at it.
But so far I haven't. Logwatch is just a bunch of Perl scripts which
examine log files using hardcoded regular expressions. For logwatch
to find anything it must always be kept up-to-date with services and
log files in order to support what content is in the log files. This
is a flaw in the design of logwatch. If anything in the logs changed
just slightly, e.g. the format of the time-stamp at the beginning of
a log-line, logwatch would fail to find anything. However, for
logwatch to filter out unwanted messages, one must extend the Perl
scripts in the right place. It would be much more convenient if one
could add/remove regular expressions to/from some config file to do
that. Sort of a logwatch preprocessor, leaving the beautification of
particular log messages to logwatch's postprocessor.

Without looking at the problem with Psyche, no further comment on
it.