Re: i386 kernel not included?

> On Saturday 19 October 2002 10:06 am, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> > I know i386 isn't supported, hence the existence of the RULE
>> > project. It isn't going to be any easier to build the RULE
>> > installers without an existing official i386 kernel, since the goal
>> > has always been to use the official Red Hat CDs for the install.
>> >
>> > Back to the drawing board... again. ;)
>>
>> The i386 kernel is not there for space reasons (it's pretty hard to
>> justify 10Mb cd space for an 80386 kernel when that means 10Mb of
>> other packages need to be removed from the distro, and that for
>> machines that are below the minimum requirements for a few releases
>> already)
>> Anyway for the erratum I turned on the i386 build again since there's
>> no space issue there....
>
> Thanks for the reply Arjan.
> I don't disagree with the reasoning behind the decision to remove the
> kernel. I don't have to like the fact that there is no i386 kernel,
> though. ;)
>
> If not for the RULE project, I wouldn't have noticed that it was
> missing.  In fact, I only noticed when my initial test of the slinky
> installer for  the 8.0 release failed to reboot, due to the fact that
> there was no  kernel package installed. It just means I need to find a
> creative  workaround. The kernel-BOOT package may solve part of the
> problem for  those i386 and i486 machines that don't need kernel math
> emulation.
>
> Oh well, off to do some testing....
>
> - -Michael

The argument about not having 10Mb of CD space is questionable.

Simply look at the size of the iso's ...
1: 675315712
2: 666271744
3: 677609472

What is the max size a standard CD can be? 681574400 bytes
Difference between this and 2: is: 15302656

Size of the 586 kernel on CD1 = 13428206

I'm sure it could have been put on CD2 ... but then ...

--
-Cheers
-Andrew

MS ... if only he hadn't been hang gliding!