Re: kudzu freezes on boot

Bill thanks.  I disabled on boot and I ran in using strace it worked.
It detected my firewire cards and seemed fine.  I am wondering if I am
suffering from USB SMP issues.  I have fond some posts on the subject
but would like to know for sure.  Others programs seem to crash when
scanning USB ports.  The hard browser crashes and ptal (HP Linux drivers
for my USB HP printer) only works when using a non-SMP kernel.  I have a
an ASUS A7M266-D motherboard with 2 AMD MP processors.  PTAL will lock
up my system while hardware browser just dies.  I really do want to have
to boot to a specific kernel to get a given task done.

I have heard that specifying noapic within GRUB may cure the problem.
However, I read of people's kernels going to panic mode.  How do I
determine that this is really the case?

Thanks for your help,
Harry

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 14:18, Bill Nottingham wrote:
    Harold Helmich (harry@helmichfamily.com) said:
    > Anyone have problems with kudzu hanging on boot?  I get the message
    > checking for new hardware and it just hangs.  I am able to get around it
    > by using the Interactive boot.  I am wondering if this is linked to the
    > issues I have seen regarding Red Hat 8 issue apm and
    > char-module-10-134.  Another interesting point is that the light to my
    > floppy drive comes on at the "point of no return."  Once the floppy
    > drive light comes on, I have no choice but reset the computer.  Bummer.
    > Wondering if I should have done a clean install rather than upgrade
    > 7.3.  What logs should I check for more details?

    Disable it on boot, run it after boot with strace and/or ltrace, and
    post that to bugzilla if it still hangs.

    Bill