Strange system lock-up.

Hi,

I experienced a very strange system lock-up.
First, when I logged out of my X session, screen seemed to stay in graphics
mode. It looks that console was still working, and I could even start X
again, but when I logged out, screen still was in graphics, mode. Then,
after I switched monitor off, then back on (!), system hang completely, it
would not even respond to SysRq magic keys (which was enabled).

My system is Pentium II 330Mhz, SE440 motherboard, ATI 3d Rage IIC graphics
card.