RE: Hard disc re-partition question

I don't think Stephen has a spare disk. stephen?

Robert L. Cochran wrote:>

To me this is all pretty simple now that I've done it at least one time.
But it does take careful study and it costs some money.

I haven't tested this procedure on a source disk which contains both
Linux and Microsoft Windows partitions. So I don't know how well this
will work on such a source disk. I have done it on a source disk
containing only Linux partitions. It went just fine. The method used
here does not in any way destroy your source drive, so you always have a
full backup of the data right there. Of course, you want to make
absolutely sure that you don't partition your source drive by accident.
So pay close attention to the device names.

Step 1. Read the hard drive upgrade how-to at the Linux Documentation
Project.

Step 2. Read the partitioning how-to as well.

Step 2a. Use df -h to get a clear idea of the partitions on the old
(source) disk. I assume this disk is mounted and df shows all the
partitions of every mounted volume.

Step 3. Power down your computer. Open your computer case. Add a new
hard drive to it. It can be any size equal to or larger than your
present drive. Make sure you know the device name of the new drive.

Step 4. Partition the new drive to the sizes you want for each
partition. Format partitions for the desired filesystems. Before
partitioning, make real sure this is definitely the drive you want to
partition.

Step 5. Transfer data from the old hard drive to the new drive following
the instructions given in the hard drive upgrade how-to. Pay very close
attention to what the how-to suggests.

Step 6. Don't forget to assign disk labels with the 'e2label' program.

Step 7. Adjust /etc/fstab if needed.

Step 8. Power down computer. Swap the new hard drive with the old hard
drive. Reboot the computer.

Step 9. Check that all is well. You should be just fine. Possibly you
may need to add forgotten disk labels with e2label and/or make further
adjustments with /etc/fstab. If need be, use your Linux CD #1 and go
into rescue mode to fix these.

Notice that the old disk is the backup disk. If you are sure that you
didn't miss copying any files, you can put the old drive to other uses.
Otherwise just put it in an antistatic bag and shelve it somewhere safe
for a few weeks.

This process can be made much easier with an ADS USB 2.0 drive adapter
containing the new disk which is plugged into a USB hub, but I haven't
tested this method yet. I'm concerned about the relatively low USB 1.1
transfer speeds you will get if you plug into a USB 1.1 style hub.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA