Re: Bios - No access

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 12:48, webmaster wrote:
> Since I have installed ver 8, I can
> no longer access my bios.  When the box
> was NT, I had not problems.  Anyone else
> experance this problem?

Some systems (some Compaq ProLiant's are especially famous for this) has
only a stub of a bios in the ROM, with the setup portion(s) being kept
in a hidden partition of the hard drive. If your hard drive went bad, or
if when you installed Linux you chose to remove ALL partitions, the
hidden partition gets destroyed. The fix is to obtain a CD from the
system vendor and restore the management partition. (Usually nukes the
OS)

Chris Kloiber, RHCE                                  Red Hat,Inc.
Hardware Certification            aka                1801 Varsity Dr.
Enterprise Support             "WireHead"            Raleigh, NC 27606